We were happy to see that you loved our previous writing about rum cocktails. Since we like to have rum cocktails on cozy Friday nights and weekend parties with the crew, we thought we make a new list where we cover another 9 iconic rum cocktails you can easily make at home with simple tools.
1. Dark ’N Stormy
The Dark and Stormy is a delicious, easy-to-make cocktail that features a refreshing trio of dark rum, ginger beer, and lime. All you need to make it is a measuring cup and a glass from which you will drink.
The drink originates from the early 20th century when Bermuda-based Gosling’s rum partnered with Barritt’s ginger beer to make the drink. Nowadays, it doesn’t matter what kind of ginger beer you use for the cocktail, but you must use Gosling’s Black Seal dark rum to call the cocktail Dark ‘N Stormy because they were patterned in 1991.
- 6 cl Gosling’s Black Seal rum
- 2 cl lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Ginger beer, to top
- Lime wheel, for garnish
Directions: Add rum and lime juice to a tall glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer. Finally, garnish with a lime wheel.
2. Hot Buttered Rum
It is the perfect drink for those cold days when you want to drink something tasty and warm. The hot buttered rum is a personal favorite – you’ll see why once you’ve made your first. It is both sweet and warm, which is just the perfect combination on the coldest days of the year. Although it’s not the easiest and quickest cocktail to make, it is definitely worth the work.
- Brown sugar – 2 packed teaspoons
- Unsalted butter softened – 1 tablespoon
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 splash
- Cinnamon (ground) – 1 dash
- Nutmeg (ground) – 1 dash
- Allspice (ground) – 1 dash
- Dark rum – 6 cl
- Hot water – 1.2 dl
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Collect all the ingredients – there’s a few.
- Place the sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and spices into the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or a mug of your choice and mix well.
- Pour in the rum and top it with hot water.
- Stir and garnish with a cinnamon stick. Serve and enjoy.
3. Rum Runner
The Rum Runner is a simple and tasty tropical cocktail for summer. It dates back to the 1950s when it was first created at a Tiki bar called Holiday Isle in Islamorada, Florida. Like other tropical cocktails, it incorporates rum, banana liqueur, and grenadine. It also uses blackberry liqueur, considerably less common, which adds depth of flavor and even a slight tannic touch.
- Light rum – 2 cl
- Navy-strength rum – 2 cl
- Banana liqueur – 2 cl
- Blackberry liqueur – 1 cl
- Pineapple juice – 6 cl
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed – 2 cl
- Grenadine – 1 cl
- Garnish: brandied cherry
- Garnish: pineapple wedge
- Add the light rum, navy-strength rum, banana liqueur, blackberry liqueur, pineapple juice, lime juice, and grenadine into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a hurricane glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a skewered brandied cherry and pineapple wedge.
4. Hurricane Cocktail
The Hurricane cocktail is another super easy tropical cocktail that is perfect for those summer nights.
- 2 cl Dark rum
- 2 cl White rum
- A passion fruit
- An orange, juiced
- A lemon, juiced
- 2 cl sugar syrup
- 1 tsp grenadine
- Orange wheel, for garnish
- A cocktail cherry, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add the rums. Scoop the flesh and seeds from the passion fruit and add them to the shaker along with the orange and lemon juices, sugar syrup, and grenadine.
- Shake well until the outside of the cocktail shaker feels icy cold. Fill two hurricane glasses with fresh ice then double strain the drink into the prepared glasses.
- Garnish each one with an orange slice skewered onto a cocktail stick and a couple of cocktail cherries.
5. Planter’s Punch
- 4,5 cl Dark rum
- 6 cl Pineapple juice
- 1 cl Grenadine
- 3 cl club soda
- Orange wheel, for garnish
- Maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Pour the rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, and grenadine into a mixing glass filled with ice cubes. Shake well.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top with club soda, if you like, and garnish with seasonal fruits. Serve and enjoy.
6. Rum Sour
The Rum sour is a classic rum cocktail that is often made in different ways. In our recipe, we spice up the drink with some orange juice.
- 5 cl dark rum
- 2,5 cl orange juice
- 2,5 cl lemon juice
- 1,5 cl simple syrup
- 1 egg white
- First things first, do a wet shake. Put all ingredients into a shaker and add ice, strain it then shake it again (shaking without ice is called dry shaking).
- Strain again into a glass filled with ice, the drink should have a smooth foam on top due to the egg white.
- Garnish with lemon or orange peel.
7. Rum Sidecar
- 4 cl dark rum – I prefer an aged rum
- 3 cl Cointreau or triple sec (orange liquer)
- 2 cl lemon juice
- Lemon twist, for garnish
Put all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, together with ice. Shake it until it gets chilly. Strain it into a cocktail glass.
Keep on reading: 10 Essential Vodka Cocktails You Can Make in Minutes and How to Do Them